Grads Function error

krishnamohan krishmet at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 20 23:18:51 EST 2010

hai Dhaval,

Please check your eof installation properly. In grads type 'q udft', then it
will give the list of user defined functions on it. If it is not the
problem, then check for the library file which they have provided. We have
already posted the detailed step by step installation procedure for
installing eof in linux. i am posting it again

*************************************************************************************************************

if you are using linux 32bit OS

download   PC(i386) Linux (32bit) from
http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/~munnich/Grads/EOF/
<http://www.atmos.ucla.edu/%7Emunnich/Grads/EOF/>

open teminal then gedit .bashrc (your bash file)

your gradspath(where grads is installed) may be (eg: /home/alice/grads )

export GRADS="/home/your_home/grads"
export GADDIR="/home/your_home/grads/data"
export GASCRP="/home/your_home/grads/lib"
PATH=${PATH}:$GRADS/bin

put the following line

export GAUDFT="/home/your_home/grads/udft.txt"

then it will become

export GRADS="/home/your_home/grads"
export GADDIR="/home/your_home/grads/data"
export GASCRP="/home/your_home/grads/lib"
export GAUDFT="/home/your_home/grads/udft.txt"
PATH=${PATH}:$GRADS/bin

before the last line ( that is PATH=${PATH}:$GRADS/bin)

save and exit bashrc

then copy the eofudf file from the extracted directory to your grads folder.

then create a blank file called udft.txt inside your grads folder. then add
the following lines to it

eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value char
sequential
/your/path/to/eofudf <-- Your path to the eofudf executable
eofudf.in
eofudf.out

here set the /your/path/to/eofudf as /home/your_home/grads/eofudf (where you
have copied eofudf)
then it will become excatly in format(dont change the order)

eofudf 2 6 expr value value value value char
sequential
/home/your_home/grads/eofudf
eofudf.in
eofudf.out

then as root copy the library file libcxa.so.3 to /usr/lib
from treminal from the extracted folder (ie: cp libcxa,s0.3 /usr/lib)
go to /usr/lib and  change its permission with chmod (ie chmod 777 libcxa.so.3)

now exit from root

either open a new terminal otherwise in current terminal give command:
source /home/your_home/.bashrc

now open grads and open your data. then type command: q udft
if it is properly installed it will give somthing like

eofudf  Args: 2 6  Exec: /home/your_home/grads/eofudf

done...........................

now set you time (eg: set t 1 20)

set your lat and lon

then type eof your_variable

it will display and create some output files as ctl and data files.

Please check that everything is ok.

Krishnamohan.K.S
Junior Research Fellow
Department Of Atmospheric Sciences
Cochin University of Science and Technology
Cochin,India