Asian dust aerosol data to be displayed in GrADS

Christopher Lynnes Chris.Lynnes at NASA.GOV
Wed Jan 20 10:22:34 EST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 3:27 AM, Jason Snyder wrote:

> I just need to find access to TOMS, MODIS, ACE data which shows dust/
> sulfate aerosols.  I do not care which data set it is.  I tried
> using the GODDARD data and it would not display in GrADS becuase of
> some time compatibility issue.  The website for this is:
>
> http://portal.nccs.nasa.gov/cgi-lats4d/webform.cgi?&i=GEOS-5/yotc/0.25_deg/assim/inst3_3d_aer_Nv

Jason,
    I can't speak to the portal.nccs.nasa.gov site, but there is
another Goddard site, called Giovanni, that has *some* of the data you
seem to be looking for.  That site is at: http://giovanni.gsfc.nasa.gov
   Giovanni has a number of different portals or "instances" as we
call them.  I suggest you start with the Aerosol Daily instance:
http://gdata1.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/G3/gui.cgi?instance_id=aerosol_daily
which includes MODIS Daily, OMI Daily, MISR Daily and GOCART models.
GOCART includes specific parameters for dust and sulfate, but our
holdings only go up to 2007.
   We have TOMS data in the TOMS instance, but it only goes up to
2005.  However, there are more recent aerosols from the follow-on OMI
instrument.  There is also MISR data.  We do not have any ACE data,
however.

To obtain data downloads for  GrADS, select the "Lat-Lon map Time-
averaged" Visualization.  If you want daily files, you will have to do
this with single-day time slices in the Temporal window.  Run
"Generate Visualization".  In the results screen, you will see a
Download Data tab.  Click on that to see the Download Data screen.
Then click the NCD box in the Two Dimensional Map Plot section, then
click Download in Batch.  (Due to a bug, you have to use Download in
Batch, even if you only want one file). This will give you a tar file
of NetCDF files that are readable in GrADS using the sdfopen command.
(However, they do not include a time coordinate so you will have set
that yourself to compare with other datasets.)

Here is a an example of sdfopen on a Giovanni-downloaded data file.

ga-> sdfopen
MOD08_D3
.A2009003.005.2009011045601
.pscs_000500347353.Optical_Depth_Land_And_Ocean_Mean.G3.gridSubsetter.nc
Scanning self-describing file:
MOD08_D3
.A2009003.005.2009011045601
.pscs_000500347353.Optical_Depth_Land_And_Ocean_Mean.G3.gridSubsetter.nc
SDF file has no discernable time coordinate -- using default values.
SDF file
MOD08_D3
.A2009003.005.2009011045601
.pscs_000500347353
.Optical_Depth_Land_And_Ocean_Mean.G3.gridSubsetter.nc is open as file 1
LON set to 83.5 140.5
LAT set to 16.5 48.5
LEV set to 0 0
Time values set: 1:1:1:0 1:1:1:0
E set to 1 1
ga-> q file 1
File 1 :
   Descriptor:
MOD08_D3
.A2009003.005.2009011045601
.pscs_000500347353.Optical_Depth_Land_And_Ocean_Mean.G3.gridSubsetter.nc
   Binary:
MOD08_D3
.A2009003.005.2009011045601
.pscs_000500347353.Optical_Depth_Land_And_Ocean_Mean.G3.gridSubsetter.nc
   Type = Gridded
   Xsize = 58  Ysize = 33  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 1  Esize = 1
   Number of Variables = 1
      optical_depth_l  0  y,x  Aerosol Optical Thickness at 0.55
microns for both Ocean (best) and Land (corrected): Mean
ga-> set gxout shaded
ga-> d optical_depth_lContouring: 0 to 3.5 interval 0.5

CAUTION:  Please be careful about comparing aerosol parameters with
each other or with models.  Sometimes two apparently similar
parameters measure very different things (e.g., AOD vs. UV Aerosol
Index), or measure them at different times during the day, which can
produce a significant sampling bias.

--
Christopher Lynnes             NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2
301-614-5185