Display problem on OpenSUSE 11.2 - Solved !

Rupa Kumar Kolli rupakumar.kolli at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 15 16:18:51 EST 2010

Dear John and Jean-Pierre,

Finally I could solve this problem.

I realized that the graphics driver my installation automatically configured
was not the ideal one, though all the graphics otherwise were perfect.  I
included the original nvidia software repository (
ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/) in yast and looked for suitable
nvidia driver. I found that my system could successfully install and
configure the driver "nvidia-gfx-kmp-default". I then added the line Option
BackingStore "True" in all instances of Section "Device",and restarted my
X11.

To my great relief, my GrADS display is now perfect, and I no longer need to
redisplay the graphics whenever the window is overlapped by others.  Also,
my X11 is behaving perfectly even with BackingStore turned on.

"xdpyinfo -display" still shows "save-unders NO", so that was not a critical
issue.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Cheers,
Kumar.