[gradsusr] how can i plotting Thickness on surface layer

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Fri Aug 27 11:56:16 EDT 2010

I don't thihnk that will work.  Grads does not interpolate pressure levels
that are below the surface.  Thus, if your 1000 mb pressure level goes below
the surface at any point, you will not be able to use the method James
presented for computing and displaying thickness of a layer that involves
the surface.  In fact, as far as I know, you cannot compute the thickness of
any layer that intersects the ground in Grads.  You'd have to find some way
to get Grads to estimate the GPH of a pressure surface that is under
ground,  perhaps using a script or a known formula somewhere.

Jeff Duda

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM, james <james at weatherbadger.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Surely thickness is the measure of a distance between two layers?
>
> To display 500-1000mb thickness (most popular) in dm.
>
> I do
> d (HGT500mb-HGT1000mb)/10
> or
> d (prs(lev=500)-prs(lev=1000))/10
>
> depending on how your dataset is setup.
>
> Good luck.
> James
>
> On Thursday 26 Aug 2010 21:09:53 AliReza Balalan Fard wrote:
> > hi
> > Dear GrADS colleagues,
> >
> > i am working with WRF and i want to plotting the thickness on surface
> layer
> > , please help me
>
> --
> http://www.weatherbadger.com