[gradsusr] ensemble reforecast runs

Daniele Mastrangelo daniele_mastrangelo at yahoo.it
Mon Aug 23 05:07:01 EDT 2010

Dear GrADS users,

I'd like to use GrADS v 2.0.a8 to evaluate a set of 21 reforecast ensemble runs.
These runs are obtained running the same global model initialized at the same
hour and date of 21 different years.

I obtained a single ctl file through "g2ctl.pl -ens" (g2ctl.pl v 0.0.4o) but,
when I used gribmap to produce the corresponding idx file, I got the following
error message:

Open Error:  ensemble 1 (e2) extends beyond the time axis limits
  The data file was not opened.

I see that the problem is that these runs cover different periods; moreover, I
get the same error when I try to open two of the 21 different reforecast runs in
a normal GrADS session (as file 1 and file 2). Therefore, my question is: can
GrADS treat a set reforecast runs used as ensemble runs?
If it cannot directly do that, is there a way to bypass the problem?

Thank you,
Daniele