[gradsusr] Scatter plot grid vs station data

Alauda arvensis a.arvensis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 11:48:10 EDT 2010

Dear GrADS users,

Objective: I want to compare modeled with observed precipitation for one
year. Modeled data is in grid format, observed data is in station format.
Both data sets contain daily values. I want to compare monthly accumulated
precipitation. And I want to do this comparison only for the locations of my
station data. I want to visualize the comparison in a scatter plot with one
axis being modeled and the other being observed monthly accumulated
precipitation.

Problem: I've tried different strategies to obtain my objective, but so far
I keep running into problems. Example: Extract monthly accumulated
precipitation values for grid files and station files and make a scatterplot
in excel. Problem: In case of the station data file there is no function (as
for grid files) which sums up values (to convert daily to monthly).

Question: What is the most efficient strategy to obtain my objective? I
don't need the full set of commands, just a bright idea. Thanks!

Kind regards,

Chris