[gradsusr] lats4d issues

Matt Brewer mcbrewer83 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 13:59:49 EDT 2010

Folks,
I am using lats4d to convert NCEP's NARR data (grib) to netCDF. It only kind of
worked. This is what I type into the command line:

lats4d -i narr-a_221_19790101_0000_000.sub -o narr2009.nc -ftype ctl -lon -160
-90 -lat 25 65  -time 0z1jan2009 21z31dec2009 -mxtimes 2920 -levs 925mb -xvars
ugrdprs vgrdprs ugrd10m vgrd10m msletmsl prmslmsl

This works fine except for one issue. It seems to be totally messing up the axis
dimensions, causing data to be in incorrect lat/lon locations.Notice how I asked
for data from 160W to 90W and 25N to 65N, so with the longitude, that is a span
of 70 degrees, and for latitude, it is 40 degrees. So I should get back a
geopot. height matrix of 121x211 (there are data points every 1/3rd degree). It
seems, in matlab at least, that I get an array of 122x212. And so what happens
is the first point on the second array actually gets saved in the 212th place in
the first array, so the second line starts out with what is supose to be the
second point in the array. Make sense? When I put the nc file into grads, it has
similar issues as well....so something wierd is going on when I run the lats4d
script....I just don't know what. So if anyone has any ideas of what is goin on,
please help!!!

Matt