[gradsusr] SeaWIFS NDVI data

Ramon Solano rsolanob at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 00:18:57 EDT 2010

Hello Matt,

GrADS has no problem working with HDF files, no matter if they are projected or not; what matters is if they are stored as a regular grid. You may have geolocation problems if the file is projected into something like a sinusoidal or some other not so common projection, but still you can have access to the actual data, do the processing and at the end to export the results to your favorite software (ENVI, Imagine, etc).

Of course, the first thing you need to have is the internal structure of the data file (data type, dimensions, data layers, interleaving, etc). I ran a HDF diagnostic utility on the file you mentioned and it appears that the file does not contain any grid, are you sure it is a HDF file? Looks more like a plain binary file, but that's just my guessing (HDF files are self described).

Regards,
Ramon
---