Variable Grid possible?

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Wed Sep 30 10:22:47 EDT 2009

If you are planning to use PDEF BILIN, then the i, j, and rotation
grids are floating point grids, sized according to the XDEF and YDEF
records in your descriptor file (in your example, 5x3). The format can
be sequential or stream, and the byte order can be big or little-
endian -- whatever is easier for you to create. The format specs are
provided by you in the PDEF BILIN entry of your descriptor file. With
PDEF BILIN, the i and j values you provide are assumed to be non-
integers, and four nearest neighbors are bi-linearly interpolated to
get the value for each grid point in your rectilinear grid.

If you want to use one-point interpolation (map a single grid point in
the native grid to a location in the rectilinear grid), then use PDEF
GENERAL with the "num" argument equal to 1. In this case, your three
grids will contain index values (not i or j but i*isize+j), weights
(all 1's), and rotation values. From the PDEF doc:
"The num argument in the PDEF GENERAL entry specifies the number of
native grid points that will be used to calcuate each interpolated
rectilinear grid point value. For each num, the supplementary data
file will contain two grids -- both will be the size of the
rectilinear grid (as defined by XDEF and YDEF). The first grid
contains the index or offset values that point to the native grid
value that will be used in the interpolation; the second grid contains
the weights for those native grid values. The first grid contains
integer values, the second grid contains floating-point values.
Finally, the supplementary data file must also contain one grid of
floating-point wind rotation values. Thus if num equals 1, there will
be 3 grids in fname. If num equals 3, there will be 7 grids infname (3
sets of 2 grids plus the wind rotation grid)."
--Jennifer

jma at cola.iges.org