Entire Grid Undefined

Isabella Bovolo Isabella.Bovolo at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Fri Sep 25 10:32:21 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I am trying to open multiple grib files (on a regular grid) and display
the contents using grads but it seems I can only display the contents of
the first file that is opened. Trying to display other files results in an
error, 'Cannot contour grid - all undefined values' and the display screen
reads 'Entire Grid Undefined'.

I've checked that all the files display correctly on their own (ie if
opened as the first file). Also I've managed to open multiple .nc files
correctly. Can anyone help with this error please?

I am using grads on cygwin and the following is an example of my session.
$ grads

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a7
Copyright (c) 1988-2008 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v2.0.a7 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5
athena geotiff
Issue 'q config' command for more information.
Landscape mode? ('n' for portrait):
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga-> open gpfs196401modacp.ctl
Scanning description file:  gpfs196401modacp.ctl
Data file gpfs196401modacp.grb is open as file 1
LON set to 0 360
LAT set to -90 90
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 1964:1:15:12 1964:1:15:12
E set to 1 1
ga-> open gpfs196402modacp.ctl
Scanning description file:  gpfs196402modacp.ctl
Data file gpfs196402modacp.grb is open as file 2
ga-> q file 1
File 1 : ^gpfs196401modacp.grb
   Descriptor: gpfs196401modacp.ctl
   Binary: gpfs196401modacp.grb
   Type = Gridded
   Xsize = 360  Ysize = 181  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 1  Esize = 1
   Number of Variables = 1
      cp  0  143  Convective precipitation (accum.) (m)
ga-> q file 2
File 2 : ^gpfs196402modacp.grb
   Descriptor: gpfs196402modacp.ctl
   Binary: gpfs196402modacp.grb
   Type = Gridded
   Xsize = 360  Ysize = 181  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 1  Esize = 1
   Number of Variables = 1
      cp  0  143  Convective precipitation (accum.) (m)
ga-> d cp.1
Contouring: -0 to 0.005 interval 0.0005
ga-> d cp.2
Data Request Warning:  Request is completely outside file limits
   Entire grid contents are set to missing data
   Grid limits of file:     X = 1 360  Y = 1 181  Z = 1 1  T = 1 1  E = 1 1
   Grid limits of request:  X = 1 361  Y = 1 181  Z = 1 1  T = 0 0  E = 1 1
   Warning issued for variable = cp.2
Cannot contour grid - all undefined values

Thank you for any help.

Best wishes,

Isabella

-------
Dr. C. Isabella Bovolo

Email:  Isabella.Bovolo at ncl.ac.uk
Tel:    +44 191 222 8599
Fax:    +44 191 222 6669
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences,
Newcastle University, NE1 7RU, England, UK