sdfwrite [was: Re: command in GrADS 2.0.a5.oga.5]

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 18 10:57:55 EDT 2009

I just had a similar question, and asked Jennifer offline. So, what to
do is to build a call to ncks into your script, and it can append data
onto a file. In my case I loop over many variables, so the file in
sdfwrite is temp.nc, then I use ncks to append to the actual output
file I want. I tried to add som script below that may work for you.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:17 AM, Farshid Daryabor
<fdaryabor at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> I could use 'sdfwrite', now I want to input 2 variables  'u' and 'v' in one
> netcdf file.  I write a script for execute , after 'set sdfwrite
> /hom2/../VAR.nc' when I type 'sdfwrite' command which is 'sdfwrite uwind
> vwind.2' for writing 2 variables  in  netcdf file, it only gives me one of
> them not both. Please guide me.
>

> 'open /home2/fdaryabor/Documents/U.ctl'
> 'open /home2/fdaryabor/Documents/V.ctl'
> 'set lon 0 360'
> 'set lat 180 359'
> 'set lev 0 0'
> 'set t 1 last'
> 'set e 1 last'
> 'define uwind=u'
> 'define vwind=v.2'
> *'set sdfwrite /home2/fdaryabor/Documents/VAR.nc'

'set sdfwrite temp.nc'

> *'sdfwrite uwind vwind.2'

'sdfwrite uwind'
'!cp temp.nc /home2/fdaryabor/Documents/VAR.nc'
'sdfwrite vwind'
'ncks -A -h temp.nc /home2/fdaryabor/Documents/VAR.nc'

If there's any looping involved, then the !cp will over write, so only
do that on the first iteration of the loop to initialize the file, and
append all the rest.  -A does the append, and -h  prevents a history
line in the netcdf metadata. I was looping over many vars, and this
history was getting too big.

Hope this helps and have a great weekend!!

Mike