kml tiff size

Andrew Hazelden andrewhazelden at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 17 12:46:21 EDT 2009

Hi.

I am a fairly new GrADS user but this is the technique I have worked
out.

I export a dummy kml file + small tiff using gxout kml just for the
Google Earth GroundOverlay <LatLonBox> coordinates.
ga-> clear
ga->set kml /base_kml
ga->set gxout kml
ga->d mag(UGRD10m,VGRD10m) * 3.6

Then I use printim command to export a larger image in a format like
TIFF or PNG.
ga-> clear
ga-> set parea 0 11 0 8.5
ga-> set grid off
grid is off
ga-> set mproj scaled
ga-> set mpdraw off
ga-> set grads off
ga-> set gxout shaded
ga-> d mag(UGRD10m,VGRD10m) * 3.6
ga-> printim /wind_speed_layer.tif x2048 y1024 -t 0

Then I replace the reference in the KML file from the low resolution
tiff to the new image on the line:
   <href>/base_kml.tif</href>

Also in my experience Google Earth doesn't respect the transparency in
GrADS TIFF or GIF exports but does in PNG exports.

Regards,

Andrew Hazelden
Weather Enthusiast