Varying timeframe in the ctl-file

Pauli Jokinen pauli.j.jokinen at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Sep 3 08:22:26 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a single grib file that contains gridded data from consecutive
years between May and August (e.g. May 1960-August 1960, May
1961-August 1961 etc.).
Is there a way to write a single ctl-file that recognizes this? Now
when I open the ctl-file and go through the time steps it assumes a
linear time scale and continues with September even though I'd want it
to "jump" to May the following year.

I know I can come around the problem by chopping the file (with the
fwrite command) for each year and writing a new, separate ctl-file for
each. As I have several decades of data, I was wondering if someone
has an idea to do this in a quicker way.

Best regards,
Pauli Jokinen
Finnish Meteorological Institute