Can bufrscan read NCEP's prepbufr files?

Masters.Steve masters.steve at ENSCO.COM
Mon Oct 12 13:20:07 EDT 2009

I am trying to have bufrscan read the prepbufr file created by NCEP.  When I sent the file to bufrscan, I get the output listed below.  I've tried this on Solaris using grads v1.9 and on Linux using version 2.0.  I've also tried blocking and unblocking the bufr file using cwordsh.  Is there any special processing I need to do to read these files with bufrscan?

Actually, I'm looking for ANY way to read and dump the prepbufr data on our 64-bit linux systems.  My attempts at building the bufr libraries and example programs from NCEP (and others) have not been successful.

Steve Masters    masters.steve at ensco.com
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL USA

bufrscan --header ~/grads/opengrads/Resources/SupportData/tables test.prepbufr | more

>>> processing message 0
>>> start of message
1 03 000  (replicate next 3, not including replication count)
0 31 001  (replication count)
0 00 001  (numeric)  Table A  entry
0 00 002  (numeric)  Table A  data category description line 1
0 00 003  (numeric)  Table A  data category description line 2
1 01 000  (replicate next 1, not including replication count)
0 31 001  (replication count)
3 00 004  (sequence)
  3 00 003  (sequence)
    0 00 010  (numeric)  F descriptor to be added or defined
    0 00 011  (numeric)  X descriptor to be added or defined
    0 00 012  (numeric)  Y descriptor to be added or defined
  0 00 013  (numeric)  Element name line 1
  0 00 014  (numeric)  Element name line 2
  0 00 015  (numeric)  Units name
  0 00 016  (numeric)  Units scale sign
  0 00 017  (numeric)  Units scale
  0 00 018  (numeric)  Units reference sign
  0 00 019  (numeric)  Units reference value
  0 00 020  (numeric)  Element data width
1 05 000  (replicate next 5, not including replication count)
0 31 001  (replication count)
3 00 003  (sequence)
  0 00 010  (numeric)  F descriptor to be added or defined
  0 00 011  (numeric)  X descriptor to be added or defined
  0 00 012  (numeric)  Y descriptor to be added or defined
2 05 064  (operator)
1 01 000  (replicate next 1, not including replication count)
0 31 001  (replication count)
0 00 030  (numeric)  Descriptor defining sequence

<<< end of messagewarning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 192-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 80-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 192-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 80-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 192-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 80-bit data value; max is 32
warning: can't read 256-bit data value; max is 32

...and so on until the program stops...

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and sensitive. If you are not the intended recipient, or otherwise have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email at the above referenced address and note that any further dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

The U.S. Export Control Laws regulate the export and re-export of technology originating in the United States. This includes the electronic transmission of information and software to foreign countries and to certain foreign nationals. Recipient agrees to abide by these laws and their regulations -- including the U.S. Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations and the U.S. Department of State International Traffic in Arms Regulations -- and not to transfer, by electronic transmission or otherwise, any content derived from this email to either a foreign national or a foreign destination in violation of such laws.