bufr ctl file

Howard Berger howardb at SSEC.WISC.EDU
Thu Oct 1 17:08:16 EDT 2009

Hello,
I'm trying to read what I think is a very complex bufr file.
My ctl file looks like this:
DSET ^layermean_bufr.20090921.18.nh
TITLE AMV Layer Mean Data
DTYPE bufr
UNDEF -999.0
TVAR yr 4,1 mo 4,2 dy 4,3 hr 4,4
STID 1,31
XVAR 6,1
YVAR 5,1
ZVAR 7,4
TDEF 6 linear 18z21sep2009 1hr
VARS 3
amvlon 1 6,1 AMV Longitude
amvlat 1 5,1 AMV Latitude
amvpre 1 7,4 AMV Assigned Pressure
ENDVARS

When I start grads I type:
open bufr.ctl
d amvpre;
I then get:
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=22 Y=0
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=37 Y=0
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=22 Y=0
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=36 Y=0
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=22 Y=0
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=37 Y=0
warning: ignoring unsupported operator F=2 X=22 Y=0
 that repeates over and over again until grads crashes.

When I look at the bufrscan for the F=2 X=22,36,37 I see:
2 22 000  (operator)
2 36 000  (operator)
2 37 000  (operator)

Any thoughts on what's going on?