difference between d u;v and d u;v;w

L. Qi qilixin at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 19 20:19:03 EST 2009

When using "d u;v;w", the wind vector colors will change  with the
magnitude of w; similarly, you can try "d u;v;mag(u,v)", in which the
wind vector colors will change with the magnitude of wind velocity.
There were discussions on this topic recently in this mail list
(Subject: colored vector).

For your second question, probably you can try to plot velocity
contours at the same time, that is:
 d u;v
 d mag(u, v)

Good luck.