CPU Performance

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Nov 10 11:35:10 EST 2009

GrADS runs as a single process on a single core. There is no multi-
anything in GrADS at this point.
I have never done any benchmarking for 32-bit vs. 64-bit operating
systems.

John Huddleston (who is mysteriously unable to reply to gradsusr
posts) has this to offer:

> I am forwarding our analysis of creating GrADS images of NASA
> satellite data using a 32 bit Ubuntu 8.04 server.

The I/O performance for hdf5 data sets is extremely dependent on
whether/how the data are chunked, and also on the cache size settings
in the hdf5 library. I am doing some testing to see how to improve the
hdf5 performance in GrADS for the next release.

--Jennifer