Newbie Questions

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 9 21:52:30 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Fil <fil at meteopt.com> wrote:

> The first with printim and the second with gxyat:
>
> http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6131/tmp1.png
> http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3447/tmp2.png
>
> I think map lines gets a bit too thick.

It appears that your plotting script is changing the thickness of the
contour lines, check your script. You are better off taking the default line
thickness rather then correcting it at the image creation step.

> Yours seems ok.

I take the default thickness for the contour lines.

> Also, label's color changes from black to gray, wind arrows has a brighter
> gray and a strange white dotted line shows at 0º longitude.

I believe these are a consequence of the way anti-aliasing is implemented.
Anti-aliasing is a perceptual approximation which plays with the
transparency of adjacent pixels to give the illusion of smoothness. Try
playing with the font sizes, the colorbar fonts look "black" on my screen.
 As for the dashed line at the prime meridian, I haven't seen it before. It
is something to be looked at.

> But overall it's a much better looking map :)

You may be able to tweak your plot for optimal results.

  Good Luck,

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva