Walker Cell

Katia Fernandes kfernbern at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 24 18:03:23 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

I posted a question yesterday but I am not sure it went through so I am
sorry if this is a repeat for some...

I am trying to plot zonal mass streamfunction (as far as I understand psim
only calculates meridional mass transport). Does anyone have an script for that?

Meanwhile I am trying to plot the longitude height cross section of u and w.
I have monthly wind fields from era40 and they looks fine individually, but
my logic seems to be incorrect.

I am doing something like:

'sdfopen 7901_mly_u.nc'
'sdfopen 7901_mly_w.nc'

***** u and w (m/s)

'set t 1'
'set lev 1000 150'
'set lat 0'
'd u;w.2*1000    * to compensate the much lower values of w

I was expecting to get something that would resemble a circulation (Walker
Cell), but I get for each level (12 total) arrows pointing up or down, or in
other words I get 12 lines of arrows pointing up and down. I thought that
had to do with very few levels compared to the 144 longitude points, so I
interpolated it in the vertical (outside grads) and I still get the unusual
behavior. Any idea of what I may be doing incorrectly?

Thank you very much,
Kátia