Legacy GrADS v1.10.r2 builds available

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon May 11 10:45:02 EDT 2009

All,
   As I said in my previous message, in retiring GrADS v1.x development we
realize that are still a number of users out there requiring GrADS v1.x in
their day-to-day work. This is because of a lacking feature in GrADS v2.0
(the list of missing features is shrinking fast), or because of memory
footprint/performance issues.  As long as there is interest in the community
(and volunteers!) we will try to maintain builds of v1.x. Only critical bug
fixes and rebuilds to keep up with new OS releases will be posted.  New
development will concentrate on GrADS v2.0.

   A maintenance version of GrADS v1.10.r2.oga has been released on sf.net:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=182392&release_id=680848

   This version includes bug fixes on top of GrADS v1.9.0-rc1 (which in turn
had bugfixes on top of 1.9beta4), and some features that had been
contributed by Gary Love earlier on but never made into COLA's v1.9
releases. For this reason, we have bumped the version number from 1.9 to
1.10. For ease of maintenance, we have adopted the same build mechanism and
extension API of v2.0, including the OpenGrADS Bundle concept. See the
ChangeLog for a detailed description of what is included in this version.
 At this point v1.10 includes the same extensions as v2.0, but new
extensions may not be back ported to v1.x.  It is strongly recommended that
you plan your migration to GrADS v2.0 at your earliest convenience.

   Again, current OpenGrADS development is focused on GrADS v2.0. Although
no new development is expected to take place in the legacy GrADS v1.x
branch, minor bug fixes and updates will be issued as long as there are
resources and interest by the community.

   Enjoy,

      Arlindo

PS: Builds for Linux/Unix are up; Windows builds later in the week.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu