OpenGrADS development switching to v2.0

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon May 11 10:31:34 EDT 2009

All,
   As I hinted in a previous message, the head of the OpenGrADS repository
now contains GrADS v2.0. This means that all OpenGrADS development,
including extensions and interfaces, will focus on GrADS v2.0. As usual, our
intention is to take COLA releases pretty much "as is", and add small
patches to enable the OpenGrADS extensions. The extensions themselves are
developed as add-ons/plug-ins: you should have all the features present in
the COLA releases, with the addition of the OpenGrADS extensions. And of
course, as a bonus you also get any bugs we unintentionally introduce [?];  a
increasing number of unit tests has been developed to catch these bugs
earlier on, and we have designed the UDX interface to be very non-intrusive.
So, if you don't care about the extensions/interfaces, but still would like
a binary not available at COLA's site or the convenience of the "bundle
install" there is a very good chance that would would not notice any
difference between the OpenGrADS and COLA's builds. The usual caveat
applies: no warranty, it is up to you to verify that this is indeed the
case.

  In retiring GrADS v1.x development we realize that are still a number of
users out there requiring GrADS v1.x in their day-to-day work. This is
because of a lacking feature in GrADS v2.0 (the list of missing features is
shrinking fast), or because of memory footprint/performance issues.  As long
as there is interest in the community (and volunteers!) we will try to
maintain builds of v1.x. Only critical bug fixes and rebuilds to keep up
with new OS releases will be posted.  New development will concentrate on
GrADS v2.0.

 If you have any questions or would like to make a suggestion drop us a note
at opengrads-devel at lists.sf.net.

 Cheers!

     Arlindo

--