basemap

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Mon Mar 16 09:15:06 EDT 2009

Hi, Tess --
The basemap.gs script is drawing a lot of polygons that fit exactly
inside (or outside) the continental outlines. The database of polygon
coordinates was generated by running another script manually -- it was
a painstaking process that required the effort of several summer
interns. Unfortunately, some of the polygons in the database cross
over latitude circles and this spoils the look of some circular polar
stereographic plots because these polygons do not get clipped. There
are a couple of options:
1. Try changing your latitude limits -- maybe there are no polygons
crossing the 65N line...
2. Use low resolution instead of medium -- I think these polygons are
better behaved
3. (Best option, I think) Change your lat range to 50 90, but then use
'set mpvals 0 360 70 90' to zoom into the area of interest -- this
will result in a square plot instead of a circular one, but basemap
will work properly. You can rotate the plot by changing the min/max
lon values in the 'set mpvals' command.

Jennifer

--
Jennifer M. Adams