g2sub V1.1 on Nomads

Paolo Ciraci info at PAOLOCIRACI.IT
Fri Mar 13 08:58:00 EDT 2009

Pierre Cassar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was testing the g2sub V1.1 interface on the new Nomads server to
> retrieve some GFS data. Unfortunately I was not able to retrieve the
> following variable which I used to download from the previous Nomads
> servers:
>
>> TCDCclm  0 71,200,0 ** atmos column Total cloud cover [%]

Hi Pierre,

perhaps there's a problem in the g2sub "levels" filter.

In fact if you try to retrieve only the "entire atmosphere (considered
as a single layer)" level you obtain the error:

 > Error
 >
 > invalid parameter:
lev_entire_atmosphere_%28considered_as_a_single_layer%29

On the contrary if you try to download "all the levels" for variable
TCDC you can obtain your TCDCclm variable as usual.

I had a quick test on the fly an the following is part of the Grads
control file I generated:

---cut here---

vars 6
TCDCclm   0,200,0   0,6,1,0 ** entire atmosphere (considered as a single
layer) Total Cloud Cover [%]
TCDCblcll   0,211,0   0,6,1,0 ** boundary layer cloud layer Total Cloud
Cover [%]
TCDClcll   0,214,0   0,6,1,0 ** low cloud layer Total Cloud Cover [%]
TCDCmcll   0,224,0   0,6,1,0 ** middle cloud layer Total Cloud Cover [%]
TCDChcll   0,234,0   0,6,1,0 ** high cloud layer Total Cloud Cover [%]
TCDCccll   0,244,0   0,6,1 ** convective cloud layer Total Cloud Cover [%]
ENDVARS

---cut here---

Obviously to get "all levels" cannot be considered the best solution if
you want to save download bandwith :-)

Dr. Paolo Ciraci
info at paolociraci.it