batch command for creating movie

Ryo Furue furue at HAWAII.EDU
Tue Jun 16 16:08:17 EDT 2009

Hi Arlindo and GrADS users,

| The only problem with animated gif is that you do not have
| control over the animation speed when viewing. For web applications it
| is often better to keep the frames in individual files and use some
| javascripting to set up and animation loop, e.g., [. . . an example
| elided . . .]

I agree that that's a very useful thing.  For presentations
MPEGs and animated GIFs are fine, but for research, you often
want to pause, rewind, step backwards, and so on.
For that purpose, I use a Javascript generated by

  http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/slideshow/

You have only to do it once; afterwards, you can edit it
as necessary.  Then, you can use your webbrowser as a viewer
of the slideshow/animation.  (If you search Google
for "javascript" and "slideshow", you'll find tons of
free and commercial slideshow generators.)

Since this "animation" is steppable, I often use it to
traverse in a dimension other than time.  For example,
you can generate a series of meridional sections and
step through them in the x-direction back and forth.

(By the way, I suppose you could write a GrADS script
that does a steppable slideshow, right?)

Regards,
Ryo