Error in displaying TRMM 3B42 hdf data file

OOI See Hai axl419 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 14 22:00:33 EDT 2009

Dear all,

     I encountered the following problems when I tried to read TRMM 3B42 hdf dataset in the Window version of GrADS:-

C:\>gradshdf
Starting X server under /Xming
Starting gradshdf under c:\GrADS19\win32 ...

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9.0-rc1
Copyright (c) 1988-2007 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v1.9.0-rc1 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf hdf-sds netcdf lats ath
ena printim

Issue 'q config' command for more information.

Landscape mode? (no for portrait):
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga-> open d:/test/trmm
Scanning description file:  d:/test/trmm
Data file d:/test/3B42.090101.0.6A.HDF is open as file 1
LON set to 0 360
LAT set to -49.879 49.871
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 2009:1:1:0 2009:1:1:0
ga-> q file
File 1 :
  Descriptor: d:/test/trmm.ctl
  Binary: d:/test/3B42.090101.0.6A.HDF
  Type = Gridded
  Xsize = 1440  Ysize = 400  Zsize = 1  Tsize = 1
  Number of Variables = 2
    p 0 -103 precipitation
    re 0 -103 relative error
ga-> d p
Error: Variable p not in HDF-SDS file
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'p'
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = p
ga-> d re
Error: Variable re not in HDF-SDS file
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 're'
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = re

---------------------------------------

my trmm.ctl file (modified from that given by Miss Jennifer Adams in the user archive) :-

dset  d:/test/3B42.090101.0.6A.HDF
dtype hdfsds
options template
undef -9999.9
xdef 1440 linear 179.875 0.25
ydef 400 linear -49.879 0.25
zdef 1 linear 1 1
tdef 1 linear 00Z01jan2009 3 hr
vars 2
p    0 t,x,y precipitation
re   0 t,x,y relative error
endvars

      Grateful if you could kindly indicate to me the mistakes I made.

      Best regards.

Sincerely,

OOI See-hai

      Get your new Email address!