locating trough / ridges

Matias Mendez matias at TROPOSFERA.ATMOSFCU.UNAM.MX
Thu Jun 4 13:12:05 EDT 2009

Hi Ron,

I found a source code (fortran 90) for objective trough/jet in gridded
data. It was developed by G. Berry (SUNY) to get African easterly waves
activity. You can get it here:

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/gareth/source.htm

The Input data can be streamfunction or zonal and meridional winds. The
output consists of several fields including trough and jet axes in both
easterly and westerly flow. I've attached an example output plotted with
GrADS.

I hope this can help you or at least give you an idea. Good luck.

Regards,
Matias