NEW RELEASE! GrADS 2.0.a6

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 2 15:26:17 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Hi, Piotr --Please see http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html for links
> to the source code for all the libraries you need to enable these features.
> Alternatively, Arlindo's opengrads site on sourceforge.net has supplib
> binaries and instructions for building GrADS from source.

It turns out that if you would like to use the opengrads supplibs-2.1.0
available from

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=241681&release_id=661716

to build grads-2.0.a6 from sources you need a little configure magic.
First, untar the supplibs binary and make a symlink such that supplibs/ is
parallel to the grads sources:

  supplibs -> ../supplibs-2.1.0/x86_64.....   (or whatever other
architecture you have)
  grads-2.0.a6/

Here is how I built it on x86_64:

% cd grads-2.0.a6
% export CPPFLAGS -I../../supplibs/include/netcdf
% ./configure --without-gui

This will give you:

   GrADS 2.0.a6 : Built Tue Jun 2 15:21:38 EDT 2009 for
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  +----------------------------------+
  |                                  |
  | Configuration Summary            |
  |                                  |
  |  + readline enabled              |
  |  + printim enabled               |
  |  + netcdf enabled                |
  |  + hdf4 enabled                  |
  |  + grib2 enabled                 |
  |  + geotiff enabled               |
  |  - GUI disabled                  |
  |                                  |
  | Build Summary                    |
  |                                  |
  |  + grads enabled                 |
  |  + gradsdap enabled              |
  |    (both grid & stn interfaces)  |
  |                                  |
  |  + Dynamic linking enabled       |
  |                                  |
  +----------------------------------+

Then to build gradsdap you need to help it along:

% cd src/
% make gradsdap LIBS="-lnetcdf -lnc-dap -ldapclient -ldap -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5
-lcurl -lxml2 -lz -lpthread"
% make utils

This will create "gradsdap" linked against  NetCDF-4 so it will be have
support for all formats, including grib2, opendap, netcdf-3/4, hdf-4, just
like the most recent opengrads builds:

ga-> q config

Config: v2.0.a6 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds
opendap-grids,stn geotiff
Issue 'q config' command for more information.
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
Running in Batch mode
ga-> q config

Config: v2.0.a6 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds
opendap-grids,stn geotiff
Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a6
Copyright (c) 1988-2008 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Tue Jun  2 15:19:02 EDT 2009 for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:
  o Built on a LITTLE ENDIAN machine
  o Command line editing ENABLED
      http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html
  o printim command for image output ENABLED
      http://www.zlib.net
      http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
      http://www.libgd.org/Main_Page
  o GRIB2 interface ENABLED
      http://www.ijg.org
      http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~mdadams/jasper
      http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2
      g2clib-1.0.5
  o NetCDF interface ENABLED
      http://www.opendap.org
      libnc-dap 4.0.1-beta3-snapshot2009021712 of Feb 21 2009 15:24:12 $
  o NCSA HDF interface ENABLED
      http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu
      HDF4.2r3
  o Athena Widget GUI DISABLED
  o OPeNDAP gridded data interface ENABLED
      http://www.opendap.org
      libdap 3.7.10
  o OPeNDAP station data interface ENABLED
      http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html
      libgadap 2.0.oga.1
  o GeoTIFF and KML output ENABLED
      http://www.libtiff.org
      http://geotiff.osgeo.org

Don't bother building "grads" because NetCDF-4 has OPeNDAP integrated in
(you would get the same executable after fixing the Makefile); just make a
symlink, grads -> gradsdap. Keep in mind that  this build will *not* have
the opengrads extensions enabled. It will be about a week untill I have a
chance to patch it.

Caveat: it has been reported that this opendap library has a problem reading
some non-gds opendap datasets when the coordinate variables (like time) are
int  (only on 64 bit Linux AFAIK).

         Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva