Oacres Function: Grid to Station Ratio

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Tue Jul 21 18:13:40 EDT 2009

In the GrADS Documentation Index, the description for the Cressman
objective analysis function "oacres" rightfully cautions against using too
few stations in the analysis, relative to the number of grid points:

"The Cressman Analysis scheme can be unstable if the grid density is
substantially higher than the station data density (ie, far more grid
points than station data points). In such cases, the analysis can produce
extrema in the grid values that are not realistic. It is thus suggested
that you examine the results of oacres and compare them to the station
data to insure they meet your needs."

I have two questions regarding use of oacres:
1.  What is an example of a grid-to-station ratio that one might consider
unstable or unrealistic?

I have searched the GrADS User Group archives, but no luck.  Additional
searches on the Internet suggest a grid-to-station ratio of around 81:1 is
approaching any useful limits, based on a grid cell requiring any station
data within four grid points of itself (thus, a 9 x 9 "box" surrounding
it).  If you've had experience (good or bad) with using oacres, or were
involved in its development, please let me know what might be considered
realistic grid-to-station limits.  Of course, I could go the
trial-and-error route to see what makes sense, but I would rather approach
the problem based on others' success.

2.  What are the function's optional "radii of influence"?  Are they
length units and, if so, what?  Are they number of grid cells/points?  Or
something else?

Again, I could not find the answer, either in the Documentation Index
description, or in the User archives.

I would be processing mainly surface temperature and precipitation station
data across regional and continental domains.

Thanks in advance!
Stephen McMillan
Planalytics, Inc.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.