Grads with Windows Vista

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 29 21:17:44 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Mark Hess <mhess at oceani.com> wrote:

> I installed GrADS 1.8 on my new Vista machine.

I as mentioned on an earlier posting, recent WIndows updates have been
reported to break these old v1.8 Win32 builds.

> When I tried to run the
> program it did not open the normal GrADS window, but just froze.  No error
> message, nothing.  So I installed V2.0 from the web site
> http://www.iges.org/grads/downloads.html (unzipped files from
> grads-2.0.a3-cygwin-dap.zip into the C:\Program Files\PCGrADS\win32e folder
> replacing the existing files).  Now I get two errors.
>
> 1) Windows brings up a User Account Control (UAC) window forcing me to
> click
> on "Allow" in order to run the program.  On my old system GrADS was set up
> to run automatically, so this will not work.
> grads
> 2) Before GrADS has a chance to open I get an error window which reads:
> "This application has failed to start because cygXext-6.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fis this probloem." The Windows "looks
> for
> a solution" but fails to find one and closes.  The V2.0 .zip file does not
> contain this file ( as far as I can tell).  Do I need to install via a
> different method or can I find this file somewhere?

I'd suggest trying one of the OpenGrADS Win32 superpacks from either:

*v1.9*:
http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_on_Microsoft_Windows
*
*
*v2.0*:
http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_v2.0_on_Microsoft_Windows

These are complete packages that should run out of the box; see links above
for more details. They are fairly easy to install and are relocatable (you
can copy it to a USB mem stick and run it from there, even on another
machine with no installation necessary.)  Although these are not supported
by COLA, v2.0.a4.oga.2 should have all the functionality that you find in
COLA's v2.0.a4. These are the continuation of the Win32 builds I have been
doing for the last 10 years.

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva