problem with 365_day calender under grads v2.0.a4.oga.1

Ryo Furue furue at HAWAII.EDU
Tue Jan 27 02:38:19 EST 2009

Hi

>     SDF Error: 365 day calendars are not COARDS compliant.

I think this error message is misleading.  The COARDS convention
doesn't talk about calendars, if I'm not mistaken.
For example,

  http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html

| The reason why you can't use sdfopen to open 365_day_calendar files
| is because the udunits library (used by the sdfopen code) does not
| support 365_day_calendars and so the initial time of your file may
| be interpreted incorrectly. This error comes up often when using nc
| files from the IPCC

For your information, the "365_day" or "noleap" calendar is defined
in the CF convention:

   http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/

Both the COARDS and CF conventions are listed in

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/conventions.html

among other conventions.

It seems that the udunits developers don't have any plans to include
these extra calendars:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg02262.html

Cheers,
Ryo