Memory Allocation Error: grid storage

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 26 19:50:01 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Chris Butenhoff <cbutenhoff at yahoo.com>wrote:

> On my attempt to display a variable in Grads v1.9b4 I receive the following
> message:

> The open file is about 600 Mb in size and has a lon/lat grid of
> 40320x16353.

Let's do the math. The size of the file hardly matters as it may include
compression. Grads v1.9b4 holds gridded data in 4 byte floats.  So, a
singlevariable at your grid resolution would require:

40320*16353*4/(1024*1024) ~ 2.5 GB

So, you could be very close to your memory limit of 3GB. The particular
format also matters; there is a known memory leak with some form of
netcdf/hdf file.

> My machine has over 3 Gb of RAM so I assume the memory limit must be set in
> Grads.
>
> Searching the archives I find the following info:

> Before attempting, does anyone have experience with this problem, and is
> this the right fix?

 This is a Grib-2 specific issue, certainly not an issue with v1.9b4 which
does not support Grib-2.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu