pygrads plot configuration

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 23 13:04:46 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Pablo Romero <romero619 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> How can plot/map options be passed or adjusted in the galab object?
> I cant seem to override the drawing of axes or the color bar, nor can I
> change the plot dimensions when using basemap through galab.
>
> Does anyone have much experience using pygrads/galab, and customizing the
> projection plot area?

At this point galab provides syntatic sugar around Matplotlib and the
Basemap toolkit so that someone familiar with GrADS could get some basic
plots done with minimum effort. To effectively fine tune your plots,
though,  you need to understand how Matrplotlib/Basemap work; look at the
wiki for references on Matplotlib documentation.  Here are a few pointers:

   - The method ga.basemap() provides a front end to the Basemap() class,
   where the current GrADS dimension environment is used to specify the domain
   for the Map. The Basemap object is saved as an attribute of the grads
   object: *ga.map*
   - Likewise, when using ga.imshow(), ga.contour() the axis and maps for
   the plot are derived from the dimension enviroment. Indeed, these are
   wrappers around Basemap.imshow() and Basemap.contour().   Many of the
   options you give to ga.imshow() are passed down to Basemap.imshow(), so you
   need to look at the documentation for this; for the axis labeling you can
   specify dlon/dlat for the spacing in degrees between lat/lon labels.

If you tell me exactly what you are trying to accomplish I may be able to
give you more specific pointers or even write a recipe for it.

        Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu