OpenGrADS Bundle v2.0.a5.oga.1 available

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 28 10:53:25 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM,  <meteo at sport123.it> wrote:
> Hi Arlindo
>
>> 1) Can you do the untar on the Eee rather than on the windows machine?
>> Just copy the tarball over.
>
> I have no problem to untar the package if I put it on the EeePC hardisk but if I put
> it on the SDHC memory stick or on a USB key I can't untar it with strange utime
> problems. If I try to copy the Contents directory from the hardisk to the SDHC or USB key
> I obtain two errors on creating symbolic the links Linux and Resources.
> No diffence if I'm user or root.

I hope to have fixed this problem in the 2.0.a5.oga.2 release I just
uploaded to source forge. The main problem was that I was using
traditional Unix/Linux symbolic links (symlinks) in the bundle
directory tree. Even under Linux, USB flash drives tend to use a
MS-DOS (FAT) filesystem which does not understand symlinks (therefore
the errors when you untar'ed to the flash drive directly). If you are
curious: I now implement the "symbolic link" functionality internally
using simple text files ending with the character '@' (the end-user
should not have to be concerned about these implementation details.)

Could you please let me know if it works for you on the Eee now? Mine
hasn't arrived yet, I only tested it with a 4GB flash drive on my
MacBook.

Thank you,

    Arlindo

--