remote data

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 19 12:45:43 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 4:01 AM, teresa tiberi <crancyfera at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question about use of grads with remote data.
> I mean I know I can use gradsdods  with dods servers, but
> can I use a version of grads that can work with data from my data_server?
> es. I don't know if it's the right way to use ssh,but I can't access to
> data-server without ssh
>       is it possible to write some comand line as following
>       grads<some-version>  "sdfopen ssh -p port user@${server_address}
> $folderdata}${fileYMD}.grb"

This is not currently possible with grads, although a Java version under
development may provide this functionality at some point  You can always set
your DISPLAY environment variable and run grads on your server, displaying
the graphics on your client desktop. Another possibility that may require
some modest technical skill to setup is to use a user-land file system such
as sshfs (google for "sshfs", it is based on a software called FUSE). In a
nutshell, here is how it works: you mount your remote file system on local
directory and open the files with grads as if they were local files. With
sshfs you do not need any special software running on the server, just ssh
access to it. Performance varies compared to opendap, depending on the
particular operations you perform; I'd say it is usable, but not extremely
fast. You can use a similar technique with a ftpfs based on ftp; google is
your friend.

    Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva