[Fwd: Re: Any feedback on county level maps for GrADS?]

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 9 18:36:05 EST 2009

Mike, Pablo:

  The Census Bureau shapefiles work with GrADS. Download a shapefile with
county lines for a state, say Maryland from

       http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/cs2000.html#shp

Unzip the file, and then

% opengrads -l

Open a dataset of your choice, say

ga-> @ open $GADSET/model

Select the region of interest, for Maryland this is:

ga-> set lon -80 -75
ga-> set lat 37 40

Then display the shapefile:

ga-> set mpdraw off
ga-> d ps
ga-> shp_lines cs24_d00

The output is attached.  You will need an OpenGrADS Bundle release for using
the shapefile feature. This can be downloaded from sourceforge, more info
here:

   http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_the_OpenGrADS_Bundle

You can put all your shapefiles in GADDIR, alongside with the regular map
datasets. The shapefile extension is documented here:

  http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/shape/

      Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva