Memory optimization (was Re: Performance tuning)

Stefan Gofferje gradsusers at GOFFERJE.HOMELINUX.ORG
Wed Sep 17 06:09:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

Jennifer Adams schrieb:
> The 'reinit' command will release all memory, including the grib2 cache.
> The maximum size of the cache is hardcoded in gaio.c:
> #define MAXG2CACHE 500100100
> You can change this to something smaller and recompile GrADS. At some
> point, I will add a command-line switch to set the cache size on
> startup, but haven't gotten to that yet. (The parsing of switches and
> args on startup is a bit of a mess and needs a thorough overhaul).

Now I got a statement from the provider which indicates, the memory
usage was the problem. In my tests at home, grads didn't work with less
than 2M of cache.
I would now need some help for optimization.

At the moment I do the following:
I download 61 timesteps of grib2 data from NOAA and cat them into one
big file. This one big file I feed into my grads script to create
weather charts and meteograms. I know I could significantly reduce the
mem footprint by downloading one timestep, render the charts, end grads,
get the next timestep, render the charts, etc. This would even reduce
the continuos CPU load.
BUT for the meteograms, I need everything in one file...

Anybody any ideas?

Terve,
Stefan

--