X11 libraries needed for building GrADS v1.9 & v2.0x

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Thu Sep 11 07:26:50 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 06:57:46PM -0600, Don Hooper wrote:
> P. Romero,
>
> I used to seeing libX11 and libXau, but I just check a Linux build,
> and also saw a dependancy on libXdmcp, whatever that is.  Static
> versions of the first two libraries are not the default, but I got

I tried to have static X libs on fedora, but I was repeatedly turned
down, on fedora and RHEL/Centos, you'll indeed have to build static X
libs from source, as Don said. I don't know for other platforms, though.

> as the mind does indeed boggle at the notion of a Linux installation
> not having the minimal X11 libraries installed.

This wouldn't be that surprising. This is a typical setup on debian
servers, as far as I can tell. On fedora or RHEL/Centos it is indeed
much less common since many tools that are installed in the default
case, maybe even in the so-called minimal set are graphical tools,
but (putting my fedora contributor hat ;-) no package should directly
depend on X libraries unless they are linked against those, and we try
to minimize unneeded dependencies.

--
Pat