Lats4d with RAMS output

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at OPENGRADS.ORG
Mon Nov 17 12:28:33 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Advait Godbole <agodbole at purdue.edu> wrote:

> Hi Arlindo,
>
> I am working on visualizing the CO2 concentrations over the US, using the
> Visualization Toolkit. I have a gridded binary output file which came from a
> RAMS model run, in the form of a " .gra " file. I can read it in through
> GrADS and also obtain plots, but to use VTK,

Have you considered using VTK through Python? In this case, use PyGrADS.

> I need to convert it into the netcdf format, parse it to a more manageable
> size ( the  current file is 4 GB) and then convert it to a format that VTK
> can read in.
>
> I tried to use lats4d but it gives some errors:
>
> **** Error when opening the .ctl file ****
>
> ga-> lats4d -i j:\VulcanWork\mjja-co2-proj-1.ctl

Try using lats4d from the command line.  Are you doing this on Windows?  You
may want to start one of the included shells (sh or tcsh) and issue
lats4d.sh from the command line  (using the shell script). Before actually
writing any files, try

C:\> sh lats4d.sh -i yourfile.ctl -format stats

to see whether the whole file can be read fine. I am attaching the latest
lats4d.sh and lats4d.gs, lats4d.sh just in case.

   Arlindo

No hardcopy metafile open
All files closed; all defined objects released
All GrADS attributes have been reinitialized
LATS warning (lats_parmtab): Closing the previously opened Parameter Table:
.grads.lats.table
LATS error (lats_grid): LATS (latsint.c) --> Duplicate grid name: grid-1
lats4d: error creating coards file grads.lats.nc

*** metadate of the file that I want to read in and convert (the binary file
is a ".gra" file) ********

ga-> open j:\VulcanWork\mjja-co2-proj-1.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu