Calculating LCL on plan-view plot

Shawn Delaney sd19surf at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 1 08:06:27 EDT 2008

Dan,

       Do you run your own WRF model or are you obtaining the GRIB files
from else where.   The reason that I ask is there is a variable called
"hgtadcl" that can be enabled and it would solve your LCL caluculation
problems quickly.  I am currently working on something similar and here's
what I am using.

'set gxout stat'
'set stat on'
'd tmp2m-273.16'
ret=sublin(result,9)
temp=subwrd(ret,5)
'd dpt2m-273.16'
ret=sublin(result,9)
dewp=subwrd(ret,5)
'd pressfc/100'
ret=sublin(result,9)
pres=subwrd(ret,5)
lclp = Preslcl(temp,dewp,pres)
lclp = math_format(fmt,lclp)

Where Preslcl is the function from Bob Hart's plotskew.gs

function Preslcl(temp,dewp,pres)

*-------------------------------------------------------
* Calculate press of LCL given temp & dewp in C and pressure
*-------------------------------------------------------

Tlclk=Templcl(temp,dewp)+273.15
tempk=temp+273.15
theta=tempk*pow(1000/pres,0.286)
plcl=1000*pow(Tlclk/theta,3.48)
return(plcl)

I am using the pressfc/100 and this gets me within ~10mb of the BUFKIT LCL
pressure.

This is rough code and hasn't been rehacked. I apologize for the slop in
advance.

Shawn
www.expweather.com