New ECMWF monthly forecast files: mismatch between P1, P2 values and forecast times

Christian Marquardt marquardt.christian at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 19 14:33:27 EDT 2008

On March 11, ECWMF introduced a modified version of their model system;
their websites
mentions

The main changes in this revision are:

>    - Use of persisted SST anomalies in all atmospheric forecasts
>    - Daily ocean-coupling of days 10 to 15 of 0000 UTC EPS forecasts
>    - Monthly Forecast run once per week from 0000 UTC on a Thursday as
>    an extension of the 15 day EPS forecast from this base time
>    - Modified EFI products using the new unified re-forecasts
>    - New GRIB description for all Monthly Forecast products, analogous
>    to the current medium-range EPS data
>
> Maybe you stumbled across the last point? I do not know the details of the
changes, though... and I don't know the details. Oh, they also say

> The new GRIB model identifiers are: 131 (atmospheric model). Model numbers
> for the Global wave model will remain at 116. Also for the European waters
> wave model the number will remain 216.

I don't know - would the change of the model identifier require a new grib
table in wgrib? Anyway, at least you now know that something did change on
the ECMWF side...

  Christian.