NetCDF issue?

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Mon Mar 17 00:24:39 EDT 2008

Matt,
Are you indexing the variables, per order of file opened?

First file, 'd var...'
Second file, 'd var.2...'
Nth file, 'd var.n....'

An alternative would be to use 'set dfile [n]' and then display variable,
as long as you are displaying variables from only file [n] in expression.

Stephen Mc

Matt Alonso <matt.alonso at GMAIL.COM>
Sent by: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
03/16/2008 08:40 PM
Please respond to
GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT

GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
cc

Subject
NetCDF issue?

Hello folks,

I've been silent on this list for a while so let me start by saying thank
you to all the developers and all the users for their hard work in getting
Grads 2.0 out the door.

The issue I am having could very well be as a result of my own ignorance
but I am unable to find the solution.  The issue comes about when I am
trying to display a time series of WaveWatch 3 data with more than one
NetCDF data file (they all have the same spatial attributes) open at a
time.  Here is some environment information:

-64bit machine running HostGIS linux (for all intents and purposes it is a
slightly modified version of slackware)
-GrADS 2.0.a1
-NetCDF files are all generated with wgrib2 v0.1.7.1 using the command
"wgrib2_v0.1.7.1 wna.t<fcst time>.grib.grib2 -netcdf <fcst time>.nc" (the
executable is pointing to the correct wgrib2)

The problem comes about when I am attempting to display time series of
several runs by setting the lat and lon to constants, setting the time
equal to all time periods in the file ('set t 1 61'), and displaying the
values from particular files by looping over all the files via 'set dfile
<file number>'.  When the script runs I get the following output:

NetCDF Error (gancgrid, nc_get_vara_double): NetCDF: Start+count exceeds
dimension bound
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'ugrd_surface'
Operation Error:  Error from mag function
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = smth9(mag(ugrd_surface,vgrd_surface)*1.9)

The command being run is "d smth9(mag(ugrd_surface,vgrd_surface)*1.9)"
(although it seems to occur for any and all variables) and the above error
only occurs when attempting to display data for any file other than #1.
If I manually set all the dimension data (lat, lon, etc) for one file at a
time and then close that file and open the next in the series it works
fine.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and please let me know if any more
information is needed.

Cheers,
Matt

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.