String Handling in GrADS1.9.0-rc1 win32

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 6 09:47:43 EST 2008

2008/3/6 Stephen R McMillan <smcmillan at planalytics.com>:

> Arlindo,
> I have been unable to figure out why the V1.9.0-rc1 win32 superpack
> appears to handle strings differently than v1.8SL11 does.  So far, I have
> encountered this problem only when reading text data files, but it is
> keeping me from applying many of my data scripts in the newer version. I
> submitted something similar before, but I'm sending another example to see
> if someone in the user community may have an "aha!" answer. I've attached
> four text files, respectively from left, (1) test script, (2) data file, (3)
> screen-dump output from v1.9, and (4) output from v1.8. Both sessions were
> done on the same pc with MS Windows XP Pro (SP2). I've also included text of
> script here for convenience.

I've a similar script you sent me before on my installation and it worked
just fine.

> test19.gs:
>
> datfile='d:\temp\apr06.txt'

Try using POSIX fiile names: d:/temp/apr06.txt. Is the file apr06.txt MS-DOS
or Unix-style text files?

> The test19 script itself serves no useful purpose other than to illustrate
> the differences. The v1.8 output is what I expected from running it--no
> problem there. However, running the same script in v1.9 produces a
> different result. It appears to handle the variables differently than v1.8does,
> e.g., numeric versus non-numeric. Any ideas? Do we have to declare
> variables as strings, integers, etc. in v1.9?

I don't think so. I believe we are hitting same MS-DOS/Unix text file issue
you encountered. I added some info to the wiki:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_GrADS_on_Microsoft_Windows#My_GrADS_script_that_reads_a_text_file_does_not_work
.

I am away this week and I do not have access to Windows. I'll look into this
issue next week. The idea is to have it all working transparently.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu