Error in opening ctl file for GFS data

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 5 16:50:14 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:59 AM, PHUONG NGUYEN <ntmphuong at yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> Dear GRADS users,
>
> I would like to plot GFS data, for example
> gfs.t00z.pgrbf00 for 00Z 01/03/2008, the ctl file is
> gfs.t00z.pgrbf00.ctl, the idx file is
> gfs.t00z.pgrbf00.idx by WINDOWS's GRADS Version
> 1.8SL11 (all of them are in the same directory of
> GRADS).
> However, when I run the script the following thing
> happened :
>
> Open Error : Memory allocation error in gaddes.c
> The data file was not opened

Is it possible that you have a limited amount of memory available to GrADS?
To verify this, bring up the Task Manager before starting GrADS and monitor
what happens to your memory usage when you open the GFS datasets. Here is
some additional info on the task manager:
How to start Task ManagerTo start Task Manager, do any of the following:•Press
CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click *Task Manager*.•Press
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.•Right-click
an empty area of the taskbar, and then click *Task Manager*.

How to monitor your computer's memory usage:Click the *Performance* tab to
view a dynamic overview of the performance of your computer, including the
following measures:•Graphs for CPU and memory usage•The total number of
handles, threads, and processes that are running•The total number of
kilobytes (KB) used for physical, kernel, and commit memory

Look here for additional info:

            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323527

  Arlindo

--