problem with opening multiple NetCDF files

Pavel Kishcha pavel at CYCLONE.TAU.AC.IL
Tue Jun 10 14:51:49 EDT 2008

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your message.

The ctl file has been updated in accordance with your comments, and I was
able to open the multiple NetCDF files in Grads.

However, another problem comes about when I am trying to display variables
from the opened multiple NetCDF files. I got the following output:

ga-> d aot

Contouring: nan to nan interval inf

A possible reason is that NetCDF data are all generated on a 64-bit machine,
and now they are opened by the 32-bit GRADS 1.9.

When I am trying to use "option template big_endian" or "option template
byteswapped", the displaying data are incorrect. The incorrect data vary
from -4e+37 to 1.6e+38 while the correct data should vary from 0 to 2.7.

***Here is output for incorrect data from the opened multiple NetCDF files
with "option template byteswapped" included:

ga-> open data.ctl

Scanning description file:  data.ctl

Data file %y4-%m2.nc is open as file 1

LON set to 0 360

LAT set to -89.5 90.5

LEV set to 0 0

Time values set: 2000:4:1:0 2000:4:1:0

ga-> d aot

Contouring: -4e+37 to 1.6e+38 interval 2e+37

*** Here is output for correct data from a single NetCDF file:

ga-> sdfopen 2000-04.nc

Scanning self-describing file:  2000-04.nc

udunits(3): syntax error:

seconds since ??

               ^

udunits(3): syntax error:

seconds since ??

               ^

SDF file has no discernable time coordinate.

udunits(3): syntax error:

seconds since ??

               ^

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable aot

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable aot_land

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable aot_water

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable aot_dust

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable angst

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable small

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable medium

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF:  The double precision values of the variable large

will be automatically converted to single precision.

SDF file 2000-04.nc is open as file 1

LON set to 0 360

LAT set to -89.5 90.5

LEV set to 0 0

Time values set: 1:1:1:0 1:1:1:0

ga-> d aot

Contouring: 0 to 2.7 interval 0.3

What am I doing wrong with multiple NetCDF descriptor file this time?

Pavel