help with vertical cross section vector drawing

Eduardo Agosta Scarel eduardo.agosta at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 9 09:59:06 EDT 2008

Dear Grads' Users,

I am dealing with the following problem:

I am trying to draw the zonally-averaged EP flux between -20 and -90
latitudes (south hemisphere) and between 500 and 10 hPa. However, the way I
perform the draw does not do it well since the vector seems to be mirrowed.
For instance, the highest Euz values are at 500hPa at about 50ºS, so in that
area vector should be clearly vertical!!!.

As example I am sending you the meridional and vertical component graphics
seperately and the joint component vector to compare; and the script used to
draw them.
Somebody can help me?
Thanks in advance.

'reset'
'set grads off'
'set lon -120'
'set lat -90 -20'
'set z 6 17'
'set zlog on'
'set xflip on'
'set arrscl 0.5 15'
'd skip(ave(Euymax,lon=0, lon=360),3,1);ave(Euzmax, lon=0,lon=360)'
'draw title HP (0,Euy,Euz) 90-20 South Max'
'printim d:\figs\Euyz.png white'
'c'
'set grads off'
'set xflip on'
'd ave(Euymax, lon=0,lon=360)'
'draw title EP Meridional Component Euy Max'
'printim d:\Figs\Euy.png white'
'c'
'set grads off'
'set xflip on'
'd ave(Euzmax, lon=0,lon=360)'
'draw title EP Vertical Component Euz Max'
'printim d:\Figs\Euz.png white'

Eduardo.