Using Shape Files in GrADS

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Mon Jul 21 15:05:21 EDT 2008

I am able to display shape file polygons in GrADS. However, I would like
to be able to color-fill the component polygons according to a value, say,
temperature. Is this possible? If so, please share how to do it.

I can draw all the lines with the 'shp_lines....' command, and an
overall/inclusive filled polygon with the 'shp_polyf...' command,
specifying a single color with the 'set line...' command. However, I want
to be able to control individual shape poly fills within the inclusive
boundaries, such as states/provinces, of the shape file. I am currently
experimenting with the "admin98" set. The associated .dbf file contains 14
columns/fields of geographical data, including what appear to be unique
identifiers (US20, USA-KAN, etc.).

The command line output indicates the following syntax, with 1 to 3
arguments:
Usage: shp_polyf shapefile [object]

How do I specify the object? Is the object the 2nd argument? What is the
3rd argument, and how do I specify it?

The idea is that my script would read a text file as input, where
individual shapes (such as state/province boundaries) are associated with
temperature or some other variable.

I am using GrADS v1.9.0-rc1 (installed from OpenGrADS), on a Windows XP
platform.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Stephen McMillan

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.