Using PCGrads to examine TRMM HDF files

Mr Aaron Pratt aspratt2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 21 12:46:54 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have downloaded TRMM orbit data files; I believe the file format is HDF. The files are th 2A12 files (this is the TMI hydrometeor profile). I wanted to use PCGrADS to open this file, but I am having problems. I know that there is a GrADSHDF executable within the PCGrADS folder that should be able to open the files directly, but that doesn't seem to work. I also try to use the TSDIS viewer to convert the HDF file (or at least a subsection) into a standard GrADS file. However, the .ctl file that was crreted still did not open (there seemed to be problems with the .dat file that was created). Is the Windows version of GrADS able to examine these TRMM orbit files. Also, are there any scripts available? Or should I try sticking with using GrADS on a Linux machine. Thanks in advance,

 Aaron