Converter grib2 -> grib1 for Freebsd

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 21 12:27:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:49 AM,  <roberto at pagoria.it> wrote:
> Arlindo,
>
> I need to convert grib2 -> grib1 because I want to use "clhilo" and
> "regrid2" that only work with GRIB1.

I'd suggest you download the GrADS extensions for v1.9 from sf.net
(FreeBSD version):

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161773&package_id=256757

and install according to the instructions here:

    http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=User_Defined_Extensions

(Basically you untar the file and set a couple of environment
variables - I've tested this on FreeBSD). Right now these extensions
only work with GrADS v1.9.

The "g2" extensions allows you to read grib2 in v1.9.  You can find an
example of using lats4d to convert  grib2 to other formats here:

     http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/grib2/

My most recent lats4d scripts are attached.  Also, these extensions
include re() a much faster implementation of regrid2(). Documentation
is here:

           http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/re/

BTW,  since you can read grib2 directly in GrADS v1.9, do you still
need the grib2->grib1 file conversion?

I'm cc'ing gradsusr as this issue is not specific of FreeBSD.

    Good Luck,

       Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva