opening gradsda

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at ALUM.MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 12 01:02:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Isilda da Cunha Menezes <isilda at uevora.pt>
wrote:

> Hello!
> I installed the new version of Linux for grads (GrADS 2.0.a2) and I use it
> to open a file .nc (netcdf), but I am having trouble opening the gradsdap.
> I wrote, as I am accustomed to using the Linux version GrADS 1.8s11,
> gradsdap -lc "sdfopen air.nc" but got an error:
>
> gradsdap: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open
> isilda at bram:~/BRAMS-prev/dprep/Gera_DP$ gradsdap
> gradsdap: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open
> isilda at bram:~/BRAMS-prev/dprep/Gera_DP$ gradsdap
> gradsdap: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open
> isilda at bram:~/BRAMS-prev/dprep/Gera_DP$ grads
>
> and I have the same error when I try to open only the gradsdap. But the
> grads opens:
>
> isilda at bram:~/BRAMS-prev/dprep/Gera_DP$ grads
>
> Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a2
> Copyright (c) 1988-2008 by Brian Doty and the
> Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
> GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> See file COPYRIGHT for more information
>
> Config: v2.0.a2 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds
> Issue 'q config' command for more information.
> Landscape mode? ('n' for portrait):  -l
> GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
> ga-> quit
> No hardcopy metafile open
> GX package terminated
> isilda at bram:~/BRAMS-prev/dprep/Gera_DP$
>
> I am committing a mistake to open the gradsdap or was poorly installed?

As the messages says, you are missing the libssl.so.4 on your system.  Ask
your sys admin to verify whether SSL is installed. It has been my experience
that SSL is not very portable outside the US and I have omitted it from the
OpenGrADS builds. Linking SSL statically is a technical solution, but
unfortunately it violates US export laws since SSL has encryption
technology; I have additional info at the Supplibs wiki:

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Supplemental_Libraries_%28Supplibs%29#Why_is_gradsdap_.28formerly_gradsdods.29_built_without_SSL_support.3F

  Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva