Template option for files with Julian Day names

Renu R. Joseph rjoseph at ATMOS.UMD.EDU
Thu Jul 3 11:43:34 EDT 2008

Hello All,

I need suggestions/solutions on dealing with the problem of opening
files with julian day included in the names.

I have files that named with the following name format: m6s4_3hYYDDDHH.bin,
where YY represents the last two digits of the years (01 is 2001); DDD
is julian day; HH is the hour of the start of the measurement

If grads allowed a julian day formats it could have been opened with
"m6s4_3h%y2%jd%h200.bin" in the dset file location as follows.

dset ^m6s4_3h%y2%jd3%h2.bin
OPTIONS template
OPTIONS big_endian
OPTIONS yrev
UNDEF  -9999
TITLE  Precipitation estimates
XDEF 1440 LINEAR    0.125  0.25
YDEF 480 LINEAR  -59.875  0.25
ZDEF  01 LEVELS 1
TDEF 1 LINEAR  00z01jan2001 3 hr
VARS 1
per   1   99  (mm/hr)
ENDVARS

Since I cannot do that, I know that one of the options is to use
DSET ^m6s4_3h%ch.bin
CHSUB   1  1 m6s4_3h0100100.bin
CHSUB   2  2 m6s4_3h0100100.bin
CHSUB  20448 20448 m6s4_3h0736521.bin
OPTIONS template

but that includes so many lines. Is there a way around this, unless I
physically rename files to be consistent with grads format names?

Thanks,
-Renu